#CAWINESTRONG – DONATE TO RELIEF EFFORTS
Over the next week, we will be signing up vintners and businesses from across the state of CA who will be donating proceeds to relief efforts as part of this campaign. See website for participating vintners in your region. Make a direct donation or visit one of these businesses: #CAWINESTRONG
FAST FACTS (from the Sonoma County Vintners):
- Sonoma, Napa and Mendocino represent about 12 percent of overall California wine grape production combined. California accounts for 85 percent of U.S. wine production and is the fourth leading wine producer in the world.
- Of the approximately 1,200 wineries in Mendocino, Napa and Sonoma counties, the regions most impacted, it is reported that less than 10 have been destroyed or heavily damaged.
- Smoke is not an issue for wine that is fermenting or has already been bottled.
- It is premature to discuss smoke taint on grapes remaining on vines. Vineyard owners with remaining grapes are picking when they can and will assess quality.
- It’s reported that vineyards did not burn and assisted to save structures near or surrounded by vineyards. In previous fire incidents, vineyards have acted as firebreaks.
- Sonoma County is a unique wine producing region, home to over 450 wineries, growing 60 varieties across 17 different Appellations.
- Summary of Resources for Fire Victims – WDCV List (updated 10.23)
- Finding housing: SHARE Sonoma County http://sharesonomacounty.org
SHARE facilitates secure home shares for home owners or renters with those in need of housing, who are currently stressed financially, experiencing life transitions, looking for companionship, and/or needing basic assistance to remain home safely and THRIVE!!
- County of Sonoma (official government): www.sonomacounty.ca.gov/Home
- Road Conditions: www.roadconditions.sonoma-county.org
- Evacution Information: www.srcity.org/610/Emergency-Information
- Cal Fire Updates: www.calfire.ca.gov/communications/communications_StatewideFireSummary
MARKETING RESOURCES (for Wineries & Local Businesses):
Download #SonomaStrong images for your webpage, newsletter and social media by clicking here.
Vintner toolkit – coming soon.
IF YOU HAVE RESOURCES TO OFFER:
UPDATE: Wine industry leaders have formed a network to provide immediate assistance to growers and vintners who need ground-level support. If you can provide resources like WATER TANKS, GENERATORS, TRACTORS, TRAILERS, LABOR or LOCAL LODGING to these folks, please use this online form to indicate how you can help.
For those in the impacted areas:
We have resources! A wine community network has formed to provide equipment, labor and housing. If you are IN NEED, email your association director; an online directory lists up-to-the-minute available resources and contact information or email me directly at [email protected] with subject “RESOURCE NEEDED” and I can help you.
For more information, refer to the full press release here.
For a well-organized, up-to-date list of links and resources regarding housing, open-businesses, and other ways YOU can help – please, visit the Sonoma County website.